02 Jul First Dance 101
Let’s talk about everything to do with your first dance
What is a First Dance?
The “first dance” of a married couple is a popular element at modern European and American wedding receptions, or post-wedding celebrations. The newly married couple, as are the guests of honour at a dance, open the dancing portion of the evening. The style of dance is a personal choice. … In the past, the couple did not dance the first dance alone.
The first dance between the bride and groom is the most awaited moment for the newly wed as well as the guests.
What are some creative/unique ideas for a first dance?
Looking to make your first dance as a married couple extra special? – Try incorporating one of these ideas below:
VOICE OVER: Sing your very own first dance song!
Your voices recorded and blended into the song of your choice. Your guests will sure be WOWed! Not your thing? Try a live band/singer!
COSTUME CHANGE: Change into your second outfit for your first dance or throw in some props and incorporate it into the song.
MEDLEY/REMIX: Can’t decide on just one song? Want to mix it up? Try a medley or remix.
FLASH MOB: Flash mobs are unexpected, exciting, and an awesome way to get the bridal party involved in making the first dance/wedding reception fun! Need some inspiration … check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_-7co3341w
CHOREOGRAPHED DANCE: Many couples today have a professional choreograph their dance, they want to look polished and effortless.
When should a couple do their first dance?
The first dance can be a great way to start the party and get the crowd going for the dancing portion of the reception. And because of this a lot couples have their first dance once the meal has been completed.
Some couples prefer to have their first dance right after their introduction, as husband and wife at the start of the reception, AKA the grand entrance. What’s nice about this, this is that the grand entrance creates an amazing energy in the room, and that momentum is sustained throughout the first dance.
How long should a first dance last?
Ideally your first dance should be 2- 3 minutes long.
How do you choose your first dance song?
- Choose with meaning, something sentimental.
- Focus on a genre. Pop, classic, r&b and then decide if you want something traditional or contemporary. …
- Consider your love story and share it on the dance floor with your guests
Need some song recommendations, here is a list of our favourite ones:
- Ribbon in the Sky – Stevie Wonder
- I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing – Aerosmith
- At Last – Etta James
- All of Me – John Legend
- Let’s stay together – Al Green
- Wonderful Tonight – Eric Clapton
- They Way You Look Tonight – Tony Bennet
- Endless Love – Diana Ross & Lionel Richie
- Here and Now – Luther Vandross
- Everything – Michael Buble
- Make You Feel My Love – Adele
- Thinking out Loud – Ed Sheeran
- Can’t Help Falling In Love – Elvis Presley
- Marry You – Bruno Mars
- You and Me – Life House
- A Thousand Years – Christina Perry
- Wherever You Will Go – Charlene Soraia
- I’m yours – Jason Mraz
- A Moment Like This – Kelly Clarkson
- Halo (I AM…World Tour Live) – Beyoncé
Photos Exquisitely Captured by:
1 & 2: Limeback Media
4. Immense Memories